Alexandria Truck Accident Lawyer
When you’ve been hurt in a crash with a big rig, you deserve to recover monetary compensation from the responsible party. Find out how to handle your claim by speaking with an Alexandria semi-truck accident attorney.
After a commercial truck accident, you may be facing immense challenges and devastating injuries. Due to the size of 18-wheelers and semi-trucks, fatalities result from truck accidents more often than from other types of motor vehicle collisions—and most of those killed are the occupants of passenger vehicles.
Trucks typically weigh up to 80,000 pounds, which is truly massive compared to a passenger vehicle’s 5,000 pounds. Trucks require 40 percent more stopping time than do passenger vehicles. If the driver of a commercial vehicle is negligent or non-responsive to changing road conditions, he or she places everyone else on the road at serious risk.
What can be most frustrating after a trucking accident is the bureaucratic system that’s in place to protect the trucking company. Trucking companies have robust legal departments, and so do their insurers. In the aftermath of a crash, they will come to the scene and try to collect evidence that later bars you from receiving a full settlement.
Having a legal ally experienced in truck accident cases can help you focus on your recovery rather than spending all your time fighting the trucking company. An Alexandria truck accident lawyer with Priale & Racine, PLLC will work hard to get you the full settlement you deserve.
Who’s at Fault in Commercial Trucking Wrecks?
A common tactic used by insurance companies and trucking companies is to say that the passenger vehicle involved in the crash was operated by a reckless driver. They seek to paint the truck driver as the trained professional, unlikely to make a mistake.
However, there are many scenarios in which a reckless driver or third party may have been responsible for your semi-truck accident:
- Improperly Loaded Truck – As cargo makes up most of a truck’s weight, an improperly loaded truck is at risk of rolling over or tipping. Regardless of who loaded the truck, it is the driver’s responsibility to make sure the cargo was loaded safely. Both the person who loaded the truck and the trucker could be found liable if an accident results.
- Speeding – Just because a driver has a commercial drivers license (CDL), it does not mean that he or she is above speeding. If a truck driver attempts a quick stop, he or she is at risk of “jackknifing,” in which the cab of the truck and the trailer swivel in opposite directions and form a “V.” This can quickly lead to a multiple-car pileup and serious injuries.
- Drowsy Driving – Drivers of commercial trucks are more likely than other drivers to drive fatigued. This is often due to compensation systems that reward drivers for traveling long distances on little sleep. The AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety has found that drivers who sleep only five to six hours in a twenty-four-hour period are twice as likely to have an accident than drivers who sleep seven hours or more.
- Drunk or Distracted Driving – Due to a commercial truck’s immense size and longer stopping time, a drunk or distracted truck driver poses a much more significant risk than a drunk or distracted passenger vehicle driver.
When you contact an Alexandria truck accident lawyer from our firm, we will review all the details of your case in order to determine fault. This usually involves going over all available evidence, including police reports, eyewitness accounts, traffic videos, and more.
It’s within your best interests to seek legal help as soon as possible—before you’re pressured into signing away your rights by a trucking company’s attorney.
Dealing with the Trucking Company After a Wreck
The aftermath of a truck accident is a frightening, tumultuous time fraught with high nerves. These are exactly the conditions that the trucking company’s insurance team will seek to exploit.
Opposing lawyers and insurance adjusters might come to the scene before the wreckage is even cleared. They’re always looking to find reason to discredit any valid injury claim you may have and to paint you as the irresponsible party.
You probably want to just move on and get back to normal life. If a trucking company’s insurance team offers you a settlement, you might see it as the quickest way to move past the 18-wheeler accident and as your surest bet of getting any type of financial help.
However, striking an agreement with the trucking company’s insurance team is almost always a mistake. Such an agreement would be in the best interests of the company—not you. Even though it can be tempting to take a settlement offer up-front, it’s best to wait until you know the full extent of the monetary damages you’ve suffered because of the crash.
What’s My Semi-Truck Crash Claim Worth?
Our attorneys are accustomed to standing up to the unfair practices of trucking companies and fighting for client compensation. Your truck accident lawyer will fight hard to get you full compensation that represents all of your financial hardships.
These can be many and far-reaching. Trucking accidents can leave victims with high medical bills while simultaneously forcing them out of the workforce. You may need months or even years of rehabilitation.
Worrying about finances should be the least of your problems, but unfortunately, after a truck wreck, you may have little choice. This is where an Alexandria truck accident attorney can be an invaluable ally.
While you go about the business of getting back to normal and making a recovery, your attorney will fight for your compensation, which needs to account for all of the financial expenses and lost quality of life the crash has caused:
- Car repairs and replacement
- Current and future medical bills
- Lost wages and income-earning opportunity
- Physical or emotional therapy expenses
- Funeral costs of a loved one (in a wrongful death case)
- Decreased quality of life
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
Just because a trucking company has skilled legal representation, it doesn’t mean they have the right to avoid honoring their financial liability. Our firm will fight hard to recover every penny you’re owed in damages.
Contact an Alexandria 18-Wheeler Accident Lawyer
A commercial truck wreck caused by someone else’s negligence doesn’t have to mean years of physical, mental, and financial pain for you. Contact an Alexandria truck accident lawyer with Priale & Racine, PLLC today: Simply call 703-272-3922 or fill out our online form below. Your consultation is free and carries no obligation to proceed.