Fairfax Boat Accident Lawyer
If you were injured in a boating accident, you might have options available for recovering financial compensation. Find out by consulting with a Fairfax boat wreck attorney.
A boat accident can turn a fun summer outing into a truly traumatic event. If you’ve experienced a boating accident, you’re likely dealing with serious injuries. On top of that, boat wrecks can do tens of thousands of dollars in damages and leave significant emotional trauma.
Just like with car drivers, negligent watercraft operators can be held accountable. An experienced Fairfax boat accident lawyer from Priale & Racine, PLLC can ensure that the careless boat driver who hurt you faces the consequences and compensates your damages and losses.
Types of Boating Accidents
Crashes involving watercraft are more common than you might think. In 2015 alone, there were over 4,000 boating accidents that resulted in 626 deaths and 2,163 injuries. Of boating accidents that resulted in fatalities, 76 percent of fatalities occurred because the victims drowned.
Sometimes boat operators, unconstrained from the “rules” of roadways, drive carelessly on the water, even if no alcohol is involved. Pilots must command watercraft with proper care for passengers on board and any other people or property within the vicinity. Reckless driving is not permitted on water any more than it is on land.
More than seven out of ten boating accidents are caused by operator error. Your Fairfax boat wreck attorney will be experienced in representing victims of all types of watercraft accidents, including the following:
- Driver colliding with another boat
- Injuries and wrongful deaths resulting from a boat operator not carrying personal flotation devices for everyone on board
- Driver hitting a wave or wake with excessive speed
- A passenger coming into contact with a propeller
- Carbon monoxide poisoning if the boat does not have proper ventilation
- Driver colliding with a stationary or submerged object, such as a buoy or large rock
- Collision with a personal watercraft (PWC), such as a Jet Ski. Virginia has special laws and regulations regarding the operation of PWCs; for example, they may only be driven in daylight hours.
- An accident at a pier or harbor caused by other boaters or the port authority
In situations where drowning occurs as a result of a boat driver’s negligence, you might have the option to bring a wrongful death case.
Valuing a Boat Wreck Claim
Experiencing an injury in a boat accident can be incredibly traumatic. In an instant, a fun day at the lake or ocean becomes something that feels more like a nightmare. If you’ve been hurt in an accident, you might have injuries for which you’ll need intensive medical care and months—or even years—of physical rehabilitation.
The physical hardships are just one portion of the headaches caused by an accident on the water. The injuries and damages incurred can seriously harm your finances if you’re forced to miss work and pay high medical bills.
Your Fairfax boat accident attorney will help you maximize your financial compensation by recovering all of the monetary and non-economic damages you are due:
- Lost wages and income-earning ability
- Current and future medical bills
- Property damage and repair
- Funeral costs for a loved one (in a wrongful death case)
- Physical or emotional therapy
- Pain and suffering
Contact a Fairfax Watercraft Accident Attorney
After an accident, an experienced injury attorney with Priale & Racine, PLLC can help you get your life back on track. Call us today at 703-272-3922 or fill out our online contact form to arrange your free consultation with a knowledgeable Fairfax boat accident lawyer.