Arlington Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
If a motorcycle crash has left you seriously injured and you weren’t at fault, you need to know how to recover the cost of your damages and losses. Find out by speaking with an Arlington motorcycle wreck lawyer.
Motorcycle riders often share a love of travel and the open road. Whether you choose motorcycling because you enjoy increased gas mileage, camaraderie with others, or taking in the scenery up close and personal, there’s nothing quite like traveling on a motorcycle.
While motorcycling has many advantages, there are dangers inherent to it. Many drivers have a bias against motorcycle riders and do not view them as having an equal right to the road. This bias is shared by insurance companies. What it means for you is that if you’re a biker who’s been in an accident caused by a negligent driver, you’ll likely be the one blamed for the crash.
At Priale & Racine, PLLC, we believe that the negligent party in a motorcycle collision should face financial consequences—not you. An Arlington motorcycle accident lawyer from our firm will work hard to get you the full compensation you deserve.
Causes of Motorcycle Crashes
Although bikers are often portrayed as reckless and dangerous, there are many scenarios in which a car driver or other third party may have been at fault for a wreck, such as any of the following:
- Left-Turn Collisions – According to a 2013 study, 42 percent of car-motorcycle accidents occur when a vehicle driver is turning left and fails to see the motorcyclist. Common scenarios in which this occurs include when a motorcycle is attempting to pass another vehicle or when a motorcycle is traveling straight through an intersection when a car in the lane to the biker’s right turns into the bike’s right-of-way.
- Drunk, Drowsy, or Distracted Driving – A drunk, drowsy, or distracted driver is a danger to everyone else on the road. As motorcycles lack the stability and physical shells of cars, bikers are at higher risk of injury from an impaired driver.
- Dangerous Roads – In this scenario, a third party such as the local government agency responsible for maintaining the roads may be found responsible for the accident. Motorcycles are more vulnerable to road hazards, such as dangerous potholes and debris from construction sites, than other motor vehicles are.
- Defective Motorcycle Parts – If a vital system such as the brakes, tires, or steering suddenly stop working, a parts manufacturer could be financially liable for the crash.
When you contact an Arlington motorcycle accident attorney from our office, we will review all the details of your case with you in order to determine fault. The goal is to build a strong case so that you can get the full compensation you’re entitled to.
Virginia Statute of Limitations and Other Laws
In Virginia, you have two years to file a personal injury claim after getting hurt in a motorcycle accident. It’s important to seek legal help as soon as possible so that your claim falls within the statute of limitations.
Additionally, Virginia follows the doctrine of pure contributory negligence. This means that if you’re found to have contributed in any way to your accident—even by one percent—you will be ineligible to collect damages.
This does not mean that winning a fair settlement is impossible—but it does make unfair insurance tactics more dangerous. In light of Virginia’s strict contributory negligence rule, it’s important to have aggressive legal representation in order to build a case that fully holds the negligent party accountable.
The Value of Your Motorcycle Injury Claim
Motorcycle wrecks can leave you facing serious physical, emotional, and financial hardships. Common injuries suffered in motorcycle accidents include brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, road rash, broken bones, and amputations. Medical debt can accrue in a very short period of time.
Added to this is the stress of having to miss work and adjust to your new circumstances. While you should be focused on your recovery, you’re left stressing about financial woes. Add this to the emotional trauma of enduring a serious accident, and it can feel like life will never be normal again.
To make matters worse, insurance companies usually do everything in their power to make it difficult for motorcyclists to receive benefits. They deploy the “reckless motorcyclist” myth in an attempt to protect their own profits. If you’re offered a settlement, it may be extremely small and not come close to meeting your needs.
Your motorcycle accident attorney will understand the stress such an accident can cause. Our firm will work hard to win the full compensation that will restore a small measure of your peace of mind. Your settlement should account for all of your financial and non-economic losses:
- Motorcycle repair or replacement
- Lost wages and earning potential
- Current and future medical bills
- Physical or emotional therapy
- Decreased quality of life
- Emotional distress and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
Contact an Arlington Motorcycle Crash Attorney
If you’ve suffered a motorcycle accident in Arlington or anywhere else in Northern Virginia, contact Priale & Racine, PLLC today. We’ll fight for your full compensation so that you can focus on your recovery.
Call 703-272-3922 or complete our online form below. Your consultation with an Arlington motorcycle accident lawyer is free and carries no obligation.